Important Easter Story Characters You’re Probably Forgetting: Casey Affleck and Emma Stone, the two notable actors won the 2017 oscar awards for Best Actor and actress, however, although the two actors Trejo and Shawn have featured in several movies, people overlooked them as they are not as popular as Affleck and Emma.
Similarly, Easter Drama and play also have headliners. Some of the Oscar-worthy men and women who featured in different roles in the Jesus Crucifixion story also account for the Biblical Easter story.
But many often forget when we learned the Easter story, behind the popular characters that played a significant role. So here we would like to spotlight Characters of the Easter Story you’re probably forgetting.
1. The Centurion at Jesus’ Tomb: Centurion was a man of power working as the law enforcement officer within the Roman government. During one of his shifts, he witnessed Jesus’s torturous death on the cross. He is known little as a minor character in the passion of Christ.
2. The Apostle John: Gospel’s account tells that When Jesus was arrested at the Garden of Gethsemane; all his disciples abandoned him and ran away. However, Peter and another disciple were the ones to follow him into the high priest courtyard. Also, some Bible scholars suspect that the other disciple was John.
The Bible also states that John is the only disciple present during Jesus’s Crucifixion. While others hide in state of fear, John was the one who bravely stood beside Jesus’ mother as she watched her beloved son die.
3. Pilate’s Wife: One of the forgotten characters in the Easter stories is Pilate’s Wife. We will not find her evidence or even named in the Gospels, unlike her well-known husband. She is assumed to be a high born Roman, well educated, wealthy and married to a prominent Roman Governor. But it is better to focus on what she did, rather than her descent.
On the morning of the Jesus trial, she sent an urgent message to her husband not to do anything with an innocent man Jesus. Pilate’s wife stood strongly and took courageous action against a very powerful, like that of the Joseph of Arimathea. Her online Cameo grabs the attention on the list of characters you don’t want to ignore in the Easter Stories.
Also See: Funny Easter Memes that will make you laugh Hard | Easter Quotes from Bible
4. Simon of Cyrene: Simon was mentioned as the man who carried Jesus cross to Golgotha by Matthew, Mark, and Luke. In the story, most criminals were forced to carry their crosses, but Jesus compared them too weak from his brutal lashing to carry it. Simon was thrown out of the crowd and forced to help Jesus.
It is believed by some people, that Simon may have been a dark-skinned black man who came to worship in Jerusalem for Passover. At that time, many Jews stayed in Cyrene. Simon at the time, brought his two sons, Alexander and Rufus to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover week.
Cyrene people were the first to have faith in the resurrected Christ, many scholars believed that Simon, his sons, and wife may have been the early church members. Many Followers believe Simon may have become an avid follower of Jesus, just because he is the only one to lift the blood-spattered cross from Jesus Shoulder and also witnessed his crucifixion and also about his miraculous resurrection.
5. Joseph of Arimathea: Joseph was a secret disciple of Jesus, where the Bible describes him as a member of the Sanhedrin, the Judicial body of Jews. Joseph being a secret disciple had to arrest and prosecutes Jesus. In some of the plays, Joseph was portrayed as a conflicted, cowardly man who remains silent during the vote cast for Jesus condemnation.
Joseph stood strongly after Jesus’s death, risking the mocks of his peers, removal from the council and also endangerment of his wealth. He also bought a linen shroud and took Jesus’s body from the cross and took it to his tomb.
Joseph enacted the character of a man of conscience and used his influence for the betterment and strongly stepped up to the right thing no matter the consequences.
Leave a Reply